Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Lonely Night in Bangkok

A Lonely Night in Bangkok

Listen - can't you hear?
It's the sound of a solemn tear,
A heart breaking from fear,
Cause there's a whole generation missin'
Not the body but the spirit wishin'
That in this time and place it didn't exist,
Because there are men that couldn't resist,
The temptation of stealing beauty,
Desecrating someone for eternity.
So listen, as they tell their story through me...

There's a war of irreverent politics and policy,
That allows you not to look at me,
Not to see within me,
The dignity of humanity.
So there must be a call to fight.
A call to win.
A call to stand against the wind.
With our hands and feet inspire.
With our hearts desire,
To set all those free,
That live in captivity.
But first, what you must realize,
Is that behind these eyes,
Burns the hope of freedom,
A dream that has yet to come.
So when I sing this song,
I have faith the day will not be long,
That when my heart does call,
You will respond, crying freedom for all.
Leverage your position of influence,
That no one else might experience this.
I believe that when this day comes,
It will be my captor that runs,
And these feelings of dissonance will fade,
Replaced by the innocence you forced me to trade,
For the looks and lears of men passing by,
Asking if they could try as I wished that I might die,
But now you see! Now you know!
Tell everyone of this war that does grow.
Fight with me - let us unify,
And in one voice, with a freedom war cry,
We will in unity defy,
This peaceful genocide,
That might not kill the body,
But always steals the soul,
Confining what once ran wild,
The hope, the beauty, the imagination of a child.

So if you are anything like me,
Your heart will well up instinctively.
Your mind will race,
Dreaming of a day commonplace,
Where we will dance on the ashes of villains,
Of the wicked among us who are spillin'
Of those who chose to spend,
Their days between the funk and the fire,
Not helping others from the muck and myre,
Rather, they preyed on this world's purity,
Moving innocence to obscurity.
Forcing me to ask myself,
If for nothing else,
When my days come to an end,
When did I stand up? Who did I defend?

No comments: