Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Secondhand Dreams

Secondhand Dreams

As I look around tonight
It's like the city's in slow motion
Appearing as if in a dream
And standing here alone
Everything seems to fade away
I guess I don't have much to offer here
Just a fleeting glimpse of hope
And these secondhand dreams
A brief moment in time
Where I'm hoping only to find
A heart moving faster than it seems,
Whispering my name.
But I am so foolish to believe
That when I wake up,
It'll be in your arms.
So please forget
Or possibly pretend
That my heart was ever even here
Cause reality is sinking in
And I need to walk away
From what will never be again
Or I will spend a lifetime waiting
For a day that will never come
A moment spent contemplating
How these dreams came undone
How you're never coming home to me
I guess it was all just an illusion
A vision of this broken heart's secondhand dreams
But before I take my leave
I want you to know
How much it is you mean to me
How I've never stopped loving you
Despite the situation or means
Cause the light in your eyes
Shines like a thousand graceful suns
It's just that now,
I have no words left to say
My heart has screamed your name
And is returning to me hollow
Like an echo calling back the same
With no form or substance
Not even a reason for its existence
All it seems to do, is resonate a cry
That reminds me of how I am empty inside
Left hollow by a love that has long since died
So my heart wonders - why is this happening to me?
All I ever wanted was a chance to love again
Don't you see
You meant everything to me...
For so long my heart held on tight
Not wanting to ever let you go
But the time is now here
I've let go of these adolescent dreams
And now my heart falls further and further
But babe, don't you worry
I promise
This hope was worth the fall
Cause I loved you most of all...

No comments: