Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Empty Set

Empty Set

This sorrow that plagues me
This sorrow that holds me
Finds me in a moment of sincerity
Grappling with labored intensity
Wondering,
How does everything come out wrong?
My heart, my dreams, this song
All of it comes undone
Till we become this empty set
A brood of carnivores, a pack of wolves
Longing only to prey on the flesh
Of the sweet, sweet heart of those who give
Devouring each other night and day
Never needing to sleep
Because there are no dreams left in me
Only an empty set, an empty shell
And so here I remain
But only to justify
This existence that's come undone
A life contained but never defined
Smiled upon, praised even for the words I speak
Oh, please never speak my name again
Cause I'm now singled out for eternity
Held to the standard I've painted
But in my heart, I know this will never last
Lord please raise me up
For I do not want to be known
As the failure of a wasted life
Gone from autumn to the ash...

No comments: