Friday, February 08, 2008

Beneath the Skin

Beneath the Skin

My heart is a terrible liar
Trying to soothe me with childish lullabies
Hoping to bring me peace
But tonight, a song is not enough.
This time it calls for so much more.
Tonight is the night we examine ourselves.
Beneath this face, beneath this skin
Lay a heart breaking from within.
Haunted by a love now left behind
Daunted by a task I have yet to find
Hoping this will only get better in time
Tell me, are you happy where you are,
Away from me, wearing another scar?
Does your heart feel like it's going to suffocate?
Or do you find that you can only placate,
The desire to count the hours we're apart?
My heart does
So I decide to take a match to my past
Because if I burn my past to the ground,
It can no longer hang over me.
It no longer take hold of me.
And under this sky, we both lie,
I tell my heart, that I am done
But it tells me I have found one,
One that helps bring life and love
Calling Him as my Father's Son above.
This truth now strips away
What was but a fruitless day
Bringing me back to Your name
Jehovah Jireh, my Provider
My Lord, my true desire...

No comments: